Konichiwa!

Hair Salons: ‘Samson & Delilah’ ‘Dope Hair’

Well sakura season is fast approaching. I’m looking forward to seeing those beautiful pink blossoms popping like pink popcorn on the cherry tree----not exactly the correct words to the song but ohhhhh, they are magnificent!

We’ve had the regular cold and flu season and unfortunately the regular bike accident season as well. We’re ready for a little warmth so, as Cheryl Crow puts it, we can all ‘Soak Up the Sun’. I can’t even begin to tell you how literal that phrase is here in the Nagoya summers. We are soaking wet, not from the rain---that would be our June weather---but from the humidity. I love Japan! I was carrying some things in from the car a couple of days ago and it was raining. I realized how much I am going to miss the rain when we return to Utah. Umbrellas and rain gear are a way of life here.

We have had some wonderful experiences in the last few days. We were invited to come and speak to a group from the International Cultural Center in Nagoya. They wanted us to talk about the beliefs of our church. They asked us to do it in English. No problem with that for me! We had a great discussion. It was such a good experience. They had a lot of thoughtful questions. They had read and heard some of those interesting things that are out there about some of our customs and beliefs. It always amazes me that people believe some of those things. I was grateful this group had the intelligence to ask the source and not listen to rumors and here say. My part was to talk about how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints values the family. We discussed The Proclamation of the Family, For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet, Relief Society, Young Women’s, Young Men’s and FHE. I invited them to a Family Home Evening if they were interested---where they could have an American, Mormon experience. Some were very interested. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

We had the opportunity of attending the baptism of Kyoko, a young woman in Gifu. She’s fifteen and has very good parents, in-fact, incredible parents. Her mother has been attending church with her every week. Both her father and mother sit in on the lessons she has with the missionaries two or three times a week. Scott and I met with her and her mother the week before her baptism. It was a sweet meeting. She is so amazing and so are her parents. They both attended the baptism and both cried---tears of joy, not tears of disappointment. They said that she had been happier and kinder at home. It had made their home a better place. That’s what living the gospel does for all of us. It’s amazing. Maybe someday they will follow her and be baptized. I hope so. Another fun side note—the missionaries that taught her were Elder Anderson and Elder Koesashi. Elder Koesashi’s sister is Whitney’s companion right now in Okayama. We love him! He is wonderful and so is Elder Anderson. We have the most incredible missionaries! They are sugoi! We love each and every one of them. I never could have imagined I could know hundreds of missionaries by name---that I could know them personally and be aware of their individual qualities.

This is such an amazing experience. I can’t even begin to sum it up. I miss everyone at home but the things we are experiencing and learning are priceless. It’s such an honor to be here. I really can’t believe we get to do this.

We love you all and pray for you daily.

Sister Baird, Bonnie, Mom or Grandma

Cultural Tip of the Month: The other evening when Scott and I were driving home we passed our little park. On the sidewalk there was a man carrying his dog. This was not a small dog. It was a dog like Lassie. When we arrived home and got out of our car, there was a nice couple walking up our street with a stroller. As they got closer we smiled and said hello—well---konichiwa. We realized it was a doggy stroller. They had two dogs in it! And I might add, they were enjoying the ride! Now that’s a privileged dog’s life! Japan loves their dogs! I’ve yet to see a stray dog on the street.

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger