Good Afternoon everyone,

First I must appologize in advance for my poor writing form. My creative juices only flow from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. However, I find myself with some time at the present so I'll seize the moment.

Hair Salon Names: 'Clip Clop' (no horsing around here) and 'Hair Make Antenna', (where your haircut will help people receive you betterSmile.)

I went to a Yakiniku restaurant the other night with Scott. I love Yakiniku. You have a little barbeque grill in the middle of the table and you cook meat and vegetables on it. Then you dip it in a sauce and eat it on top of rice. Yummy!! I ordered a salad with my meal. They brought my salad and I started to eat it. It was delicious! After a while I noticed the people at the next table had the same salad but the man was using smaller bowls to serve everyone at the table. I realized I was eating out of the bowl that was meant for several people. It was like you taking the salad at Olive Garden and eating right out of the big bowl. How embarrassing! I'm sure everyone was thinking, "Wow, those American's, they like things big!". It really wasn't that big, it was a salad like you get at Cafe Rio or Bajio. Just another cultural adventure in the life of Sister Baird.
A big shout out to Janna Holmes who paid to come visit me. Thank you! Thank you! I enjoyed every minute of it! I must say, it was very hard to see you leave. We enjoyed Japan's beautiful scenery, Mountain Villages, Takayama Festival Floats, Sakura (beautiful Sakura) and delicious food. I didn't take her to the Sushi-Ro I'll save that for next time. Of course Janna came serving the people of Sendai. She brought 2 huge suitcases full of coats and blankets that co-workers had donated. She had put them in space bags (bags you take all the air out). When we took them out of the bags, there were 3 huge black garage bags stuffed full. She dragged all of that through the airports and the Shinkansen, bless her heart. But that's nothing out of the ordinary for her, it's a daily thing. She's one of the most service oriented people I have ever met.
I just came down from a small birthday party upstairs in the office. Elder Kyotani who is from Tokyo and serving as one of our office elders, who has the biggest, most beautiful smile you've ever seen, turned 25 today. We learned yesterday that because his family is so big (9 children) that he has never had a birthday or Christmas present. His parents are wonderful parents but economic pressures haven't been good enough for that luxury. The A.P.'s decided he needed a present and a cake. We made a cake and got a few small things so he could unwrap a present or two. Yesterday was his P-Day (preparation day) it's the day they email and read email's from home. He told me that no one had emailed him. I told him to check later to see if they were just late---still no emails. The surprise birthday party the elder's planned was just what he needed. We love him so much it breaks all our hearts to think of sending him back to Tokyo. But I know it's coming---I can feel it.
We have become attached to all these Tokyo missionaries. They are wonderful and we love them. When they first got here it was quite an adjustment for a lot of them, but they went forward and worked hard. In our first meeting the night they came (43 of them), Scott opened up the meeting for questions. One elder asked in a very distressed voice, "Is this permanent?" Scott was inspired. He told them, "I will tell you what Joseph Smith told the Saints when they asked him that question. Build your houses, paint your fences, so if you do leave, you will leave a beautiful legacy behind." I am paraphrasing but that was the idea. I love the prophets. I love the wisdom they receive from God. Most of these Tokyo missionaries are doing exactly that, acting as if this is permanent---- they will leave a wonderful legacy behind---and a lasting impression on us.
We have had some good things happen as a result of the earthquake and tsunami. We have had several people show up to church because they need to find peace in their lives. They needed to know there was a purpose here. What would happen after death and what had happened before life. One 29 year old called his friend because he said he was the happiest, most at peace person he knew. He found out he was a member of the church. He found out where the closest church was and showed up at sacrament meeting. He was just baptized two weeks ago and confirmed this week.
Well Whitney is on her way to Japan!!! Could you hear her shouts when she got her travel plans? She's a little nervous because she's the travel leader for the 22 missionaries that are going to Kobe. Tokyo airport won't be a problem because there are not many there these days, but it's LA she worries about. These missionaries are like her brothers and sisters after 13 weeks. We will receive 22 missionaries as well on the 19th. 10 coming to Nagoya and 12 that are eventually headed to Tokyo. We always love getting new missionaries. That will bring our numbers to around 138.
I was in Suzuka a few Sunday's ago when we met a Korean man there. He is a new member. We visited with him and learned from the elders that he is married but that his wife doesn't show much interest in the church. I found out they have a little girl and were expecting a new baby very soon, a boy. I sent one of the blankets I croquet around the edges, to them. I got a sweet note back, here is a sentence from the letter:
.....frankly speaking last Sunday I got my first fast in my life [fasting on fast sunday]. As you know the last Sunday's lesson title was fast. So I thought maybe I can feel some of God's miracle. That's true. I could feel it. I could feel something grateful and something sacred. My body was so light and my mind was so clear. I couldn't feel any temptation.............I admire you and your family. How do you make your mind to come to this Japan? Deserting your job and leaving your friends? I am still the only church member in my house. One of my dream is to go to church holding my family's arm and spending our whole life for God's work. Please help me to be strong and teach me the God's word and show the way of God......
What a sweet thing, he wants to go to church together with his family holding their arms. I have to tell you the rest of the story--a few weeks after this letter his wife went to the doctor and he couldn't find a heart beat.. they baby had died. I'm grateful he has the peace the gospel brings, the knowledge that families can be together after this life. We will keep loving his wife and someday I pray she will understand the truth of the gospel and eternal families.

Ja mata ne, from the land of earthquakes, tsunami's and nuclear crisis---and we couldn't feel more safe.

Love you all,
Sister Baird, Bonnie, Mom or Grandma

Cultural tip of the week: Women take small blankets everywhere. To church, work, the bus, etc. When I get my hair cut my hair dresser puts a little blanket over me so I won't get cold. If you could experience the 'no central heating' thing, you would understand why they carry blankets around.

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger