Hello from Nagoya!

I hear Utah has had its share of snow and cold this year. I hope you are all staying warm by the fire with your hot chocolate and snuggies. Snuggies here have an extra pouch attached in front with a hole so you can put your dog in it, you can stay warm together while it pokes it's little head out Smile. We haven't had much snow, at least none that sticks to long, but up in our north areas like Kanazawa, they have been pounded with the stuff. We have faithful missionaries that continue to work despite it all. They bundle up and climb on their bikes to weather the storms.

First, with some regret, I have to say, I have no new hair salon names. Don't fret, I will continue to look, it's become a fun past time of mine when we go anywhere.

I am happy to report that Whitney arrived safely to the MTC and she didn't even have to walk. Thanks family for taking over the duties so well! While she was here we went out and bought her bike for her mission. It was quite a trip. Scott was busy so he sent us with the Elders. It was great! Whitney's never had so many brothers. We found her a spiffy bike, basket, lock and helmet. She's set to travel the streets of Kobe! Just add her rain suit and she'll be good to go!

I know I have told you all about my language adventures in Japan, well here's the most current event. I went to mail a package for the Manning children. We have a thing going that if they read all the articles in the Friend and tell me about their favorite one, I mail them a little treat. I went to the post office and the woman at the desk was helping me fill out the form. Of course we were communicating in "sign language". I just wrote -candy and toys- where it asked for contents, she pointed to it made a few hand motions and some how I knew she was telling me I needed to be more specific. So she gave me a new form. Then she handed me this big laminated card that had pictures on it of different things that could be in the package so I would know how to identify the items. I saw one that looked like a party hat and crayons, so I pointed to that. Her eyes got wide and I looked at the picture again and realized that above it, it said 'Explosives'. I put my arms in a big cross like they do and started shaking my head. I thought, great, now the mail police will be here soon. She realized I had not understood and we both had a good laugh. Oh to be illiterate and mute!

When Whitney left she told me I had to go visit with the Sister's and Elder's on Mondays. She wanted me to go to lunch with them or something so I wouldn't get lonely. I think she was a little worried about me---I don't know why---maybe it's because every time she looked at me, I cried. Well last Saturday I had some of the sister's call. There are three together in one area and one of them was struggling a little and just needed to hear a mom's voice on the phone. I asked them if one p-day after they got all their cleaning, washing and emailing done (you really don't have to worry about that with the sister's, now the elder's-that's another story!) if they wanted to go to lunch with me. They said "Yes! This Monday will work." So there I had it, my first monday lunch date, just like Whitney told me to do. When the sisters found out I'd never been to the Sushi Ro that's where we went. What a cultural experience! I loved it! I never would have survived if I didn't have Japanese sisters with me. You sit at these tables that have a hot water spout (for drinking-yes, just hot water) then there is this conveyor belt that goes around and you take the little plates of food off of it that you want. It was AWESOME and so FUN! The only thing is it's very Japanese food. Big shrimp (Ebi) with huge eyeballs, you break off the head and as Ryoko says, "suck out the brains". I can't do that yet, maybe next time! I did eat more fish eggs which were very good. Undercooked, kind of slimy shrimp, all kinds of sushi (yummy) and a bunch of other things. If you're coming to Japan, we're going there, so gear your stomachs up! I've attached some pictures. Then the sisters wanted to take Pudies (pictures that are pretty funny) and eat some Mochie (sp) because I'd never had it. I really liked it! It was like stretchy marshmallow around ice cream balls. I had a great day, a real pick-me-up day. That just goes to show that parents need to listen to their children. Thanks Whitney!

Scott went out to Dendo (find people) with the Elders two days ago in Ueda. He got a bike. I worried about that. I told him we are of the age that it's good to go biking leisurely around the park with our hats, arm covers and such, but it's another thing to go out tracting with the Elders and try to keep up with them. He didn't believe me. He came into our hotel room later that night, and as he got into bed (12 inches from the ground) I thought he was 190 years old! He moaned and groaned. I asked him what in the world was the matter. He said "Nothing". I said "I can see that." He said,"I kind of crashed on my bike." Yes he'd crashed. He hurt his shoulder, arm and maybe has broken a couple of ribs. It hurts him when he laughs and he's been taking Ibuprofen every four hours--he NEVER takes anything. Well--at least he didn't tear his suit.

Well, enough of this trivial stuff. I need to tell you that the missionaries are wonderful! They work so very hard.
We had a very sad thing happen this last week. One of our missionaries brothers, died. They were only about 18 months apart. It was a tragic thing. We've worried about him. He's really been through some hard things. He struggled when he was younger and was kicked out of his house. He lived in his car for over a year until it was repossessed. Then he moved in with this brother, the one that just died. He decided he needed to straighten up his life. Then he decided to go on a mission. He worked hard spiritually and financially to get here. I thought this news would make him want to leave, but bless his heart----he's staying. He's been a rock. I so admire him. Like I say---we have amazing elders and sisters.

Elder Palmer (who is another Sugoi missionary!) is serving up in Nanao (way up north) He told us about Brother Okazaki there who rides his bicycle to church one hour each way to attend. The Elders teach Eikaiwa (English classes) in the evenings, once a week. Brother Okazaki wants to support the Elders in English class so he always attends. One week his bike was broken so he walked over two hours at night to still be there. These members are amazing.

In Nanao the Branch President is PresidentTeraguchi. The branch is so small that he conducted sacrament, blessed the sacrament, gave the opening prayer and taught Sunday School. These members are teaching me that I have nothing to complain about.
Every time we travel to different wards and branches I meet the investigators that are getting ready for baptism. It's such an amazing experience. To see how the gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives.

Thank you for all your emails. It's so wonderful to know there is still life going on across the ocean. I'm am heading off once again to Daiei, the great grocery store, another adventure. I'll feed 16 tomorrow for zone council. I love it. Feeding 16 Elder's is really more like feeding 30 people, but they love everything I make. Not that I'm a good cook, just that it's a mom who's cooking for them. They treat me with such love and respect, I love them.

Signing off,
Sister Baird, Bonnie, Mom or Grandma

Cultural tip of the week: We do not have garbage disposals in Japan. We have a little basket container in the drain that catches all the food. You put a little 'hair net' like thing in it and then throw the whole thing away. It drove me crazy at first, but it really is quite function-able. (I know this isn't dejavu, because I don't have that anymore--due to brain deterioration-- but it seems like I've already given this cultural tip, if I have, please forget my forgetfulness.)

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger