Good Morning from Japan!

I hope everyone is well! I know you are all enjoying the fall weather and everything that comes with it; the colors, the smells and BYU football! I can see that is one thing that Scott is suffering from, missing the beginning of football season. Just before bed he comes in my office and checks the internet for scores. Though he doesn't have more than two minutes to think about it.
First of all a big shout out to McKay Manning for receiving his 'Arrow of Light'. Way to go buddy!!!! We are all so proud of you! Second, a big shout out to Becky Phillip's for sending one of PV 6th finest into the mission field. Way to go Becky!!!! The adventures have already begun and so have the blessings!
This has been a week of stretching for me, I have thought it's more like being on the 'rack'. In some ways it's been torture. I'll give you a quick overview:

A week ago Saturday: I went to the drivers license division in Japan and practiced on a course with a Japanese instructor for two hours. A notorious, frightening place.

Sunday: We drove to Ina (2 hours away) and had to speak there.

Monday: went to take my practical driving test, there are stories that will live forever from this place. Only one woman in our group passed, miraculously, and I mean miraculously, it was me (thanks for all your prayers!). Major stressful! Prepared dinner for 16.

Tuesday: New missionaries arrive (they had to leave one behind that lost his passport on the flight from SLC to San Fran) Dinner for 22.

Wednesday: Breakfast for 24. Gave talk. Dinner for 18, the returning missionaries (8 of them). Scott had to pick up the New Missionary that finally found his passport from the airport about 1 hour away. Gave talk.

Thursday: Breakfast for 20. Sent off the amazing finishers and felt really bad because some of these elders have been my babysitter for 2 1/2 months, heart wrenching. Had a root canal that afternoon. I was actually happy to go. It had gotten so bad I welcomed the shot, nevertheless, it was not fun. I asked if they had gas, they had no idea of what I was talking about (no translator and I don't think they really knew what in the world gas was, I kept making the hand over my nose motion.). The Japanese people that I know, don't want to take even an ibuprophen. They gave me pain pills after. I think they might have been an ibuprophen 100. Didn't work, didn't even make me tired!

Friday: Had to get things taken care of in the mission home.

Saturday: Got a haircut. This is a very stressful thing. I did take a picture but try describing what you want, using charades!

Sunday: Drove 3 hours to Matsumoto for church with Elder Ishii and Elder Aoyagi (both of the Seventy). Had to speak in Sacrament meeting. Sister Aoyagi and I met with the women's auxiliary leaders after meetings. They had a lot of questions about YW, Relief Society and Primary. These valiant wonderful women are leading without the resources and background that we have. Translation is tricky and I don't know if they could really understand me. It's hard to answer questions, I'm not confident I know enough. The woman who had just been called as the Relief Society President was just released as the Primary President and has been serving in that position for 10 years! The new young women's president had just been released as the Relief Society President. Wow. They don't have enough strong members to fill all the callings and they feel the burden, and yet some serve never complaining about it. I would like to say that would be me, but in all honesty, it wouldn't. Back to the rest of Sunday. After a long meeting with the sisters we went and visited two inactive sisters. Both very sweet. It was a good experience. All of this stretched me. I should be about 10 inches taller now. We had a 3 hour drive home. It was an exhausting, but good day.

As I have reflected on my week, I think that each of these things deserved their very own week, but that's not how the mission field goes. Ever moving.

One of the great moments was when Elder Tuipala shared his miracle story (he returned home to New Zealand this week). He said that he and his companion were walking somewhere and there was this little elderly Japanese man. He said he was tired and the thought occurred to him to start talking. He didn't, he was tired! His companion said, "I think we should go talk to him." Elder Tuipala said "Go ahead." So he did. As they were telling him about Jesus Christ and the church the man realized it was the Book of Mormon they had, he was so excited. Months before he had been to a thrift store. He had bought a used VHS. It was a church video, one of the one with different vignettes. He said he'd watched it everyday. He told them what his favorite vignette was. He had tried to ask people if they knew where to find these people that had made the video, no one knew. He prayed that God would help him find them. Then the Elders had spoken to him and he realized God had answered his prayers. Elder Tuipala felt so bad he had been tired and didn't want to make the effort. He wondered what would have happened if his companion would have felt the same and not followed the spirit. The man was baptized and is a active member in Suwa.

I do have updates on hair salon names. They never cease to amaze me. 'Hair make Winner', 'Clear of Hair', 'Lover's Hair' and 'Hair and Make Mop'. These are not translations, they actually say it on the buildings. That's one of the things I love about Japan. It really is.

Well I'll leave you with a Cultural Tip of the Week: We were in an elevator. Every floor it stopped on more people came in. No one considered waiting until the next elevator. We just kept cramming them in. It got to be a little humorous to me, I got the giggles. There we were about 25 people smashed together and I mean literally smashed, body to body no room in between, riding in this elevator. It's a good thing they were 23 light Japanese and 2 heavy gaijin's (foreigners--us), because the cable should have broken. I think they get used to the trains here were they have 'pushers' (different from the American meaning of 'pushers'!), men in uniform that stand there with a flashlight with a long illuminated red attachment and white gloves. They shove everyone on the trains so the doors can close. Scott says that's why the Japanese can look right past you as if you're not there, it's because they have to to survive the lack of personal space in public places.

Well we love you all. I saw little children in primary yesterday and yearned to hold my little guys and gals. As I drove around with the sisters visiting less actives yesterday, I saw the mountains of Matsumoto at dusk. They look just like our Salt Lake Valley (Matsumoto is Salt Lake's sister city because of this) It made me miss all of you. Then I returned home and the Elder's came down, and I remember why I'm here. That eases the longing for home and puts into perspective all who are here to serve and what it means. It means that the people of Japan can have the comfort and peace the Gospel brings..........the promise of eternal families. I feel better.

Have a wonderful week.

Sister Baird, Bonnie or Mom

Disclosure: For all of you wondering how I do the food by myself, I do have some help. The office couple helps with breakfasts and Sister Urano, my helper is great. Scott did just come in and tell me we have 25 elders here for 4 days (leadership training for the simplified curriculum) Problem, most of them are out of money because this is the last of the month so I'm doing some creative thinking about food for them. Holiday week in Japan so I told Sister Urano to go. It is pretty amazing to see how the Lord steps in and helps you solve things around here. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger