Ohiogozaimas!

I see that there is snow in Utah! Beautiful! I hope you are all safe and warm. There is a typhoon here! That means a lot of wind and a lot of rain for us.
I can't believe that Halloween is here, or as I have seen it on advertisements in Japan, 'Helloween'. I bet you have all your costumes ready and waitin' to go! We are speaking in a Stake Conference Saturday so we'll miss our Meito Ward's Halloween Party. I hear it's a big event. Lots of investigators come. This will be our 3rd Stake Conference this month, at which we have spoken in both sessions. I use to stress over giving one talk every 3 years or so. Those days are gone for now, however the stress remains.

Once again, hair salon names: Moat Hair, Eagle Hair, Spikey-Spikey, Only One Hair. I love it!

I think they could make a weekly reality show about my adventures in the Japanese grocery stores. Last week I went to Daiei (the bottom floor is like a Walmart). Thinking it was cold enough for a sweater and boots I ventured out. That was a mistake. In the first 5 minutes I realized, dressed as I was, I needed my sweat towel. Have I mentioned they play the same music that repeats the grocery store jingle about every 30 seconds? I hope their employees have psychiatric insurance.
Remember, the grocery cart frames hold two of the little baskets you carry around in American grocery stores? This day I realized I needed two carts, something never heard of before here in Japan. I was indeed a spectacle! Japanese people, for the most part, try not to look at you, because they are private and because they don't want to embarrass you or have you lose face. Well, not so when you are pushing two basket carts. At least the women over 60 that are with their friends or husbands. They go into the whisper, snickering mode. Talk about the great and spacious grocery store! At first I wanted to cry, then I thought, how many people get to have this experience? I decided to enjoy the moment and just stood up straight (as straight as I could with two baskets) straightened my tag, smiled and walked on. I am twice the size of these little Japanese women so I knew what they were thinking! I continued to be the talk of the town when I bought all the bread rolls on the shelf and all the powdered sugar on the wall (they come in 3/4 cup packages!), they don't know I'm feeding the 5,000. It was time to bag. That's another experience all it's own, bring your own bags etc. Next the 'down' escalator to the parking lot. Yes, escalator! Luckily it has grips so your baskets won't roll on down without you or worse, with you. The problem-- I had two carts. It didn't occur to anyone to help me, they just stood in awe, literally. I'm sure they would have helped me if I would have asked. I didn't know how to ask and I was a little to proud to. I figured it all out though, one basket in front of me then jump on, then pull one behind me, all the while sweating bullets. Getting off was even more tricky. I realized if I had fallen I don't think anyone would have helped. They don't like to intrude on your private space or embarrassing moments. I love the grocery store! I seriously do. I just wish they had a normal size basket, at least one, for the crazy American women with the tag, that hoards food!

Our cute Ryoko will be baptized on November 14! We are so excited. We had her, her mother Megumi and the missionaries over for a lesson. It's amazing to see how they have blossomed. Sister Oldroyd, our office secretary had sent Ryoko a new triple combination scripture set and Megumi a beautiful new Bible. They were so thrilled! Megumi just cried. During the lesson, the elders and Scott talked to them about the gift of the Holy Ghost. Ryoko, crying, touched her heart and said "I can't describe this feeling, my heart feels shiny." Scott told her that was a perfect way to describe that feeling of the Holy Ghost, a 'shiny heart'. We are so excited for them both.

At the Shizuoka Stake Conference, two of our elders had a beautiful Japanese girl there. She's an investigator that will be baptized this Sunday. We found out that one of our new missionaries, Elder Hollister (he arrived here 7 weeks ago from the MTC) when he was on the plane from Tokyo to Nagoya, sat by this girl. He'd talked to her about the church and had given her a pass a long card. She had gone home, looked up the church on the internet, found where there was a meeting on Sunday and went alone. She met missionaries there and started taking lessons. She loves the Book of Mormon. All this because Elder Hollister opened his mouth on the plane. That's been an incredible experience for him. And to make it even better, he's serving in her stake! He met her again at Stake Conference and she expressed her gratitude to him.

At that same Stake Conference I had shared my experience about getting my Japanese Drivers License. I had told them about how I had heard it was a frightening place (which it is!). That I had become so anxious about it that it was making me miserable. I remembered the Youth Scripture theme for this year, Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and of a good courage: be not afraid neither be dismayed, for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." I said it over and over. It took away my anxiety and comforted me. After conference we were talking with many of the members. This sweet woman came up to me and told me she and her husband had gone to America to attend Princeton University. She remembered the same feelings about getting her drivers license in America. She was waiting in line, holding a crying baby when a wonderful couple came up to her and asked if they could help her. They cared for the baby while she took the test. She said she was so grateful for them! She too had been very anxious about her test and was dealing with her baby at the same time. She told me she hadn't had the knowledge then to pray and ask the Lord for comfort, so she had been comfortless. That couple turned out to be members. They told her about the Gospel and she and her husband were baptized. Here she is years later, a strong member in Japan. She said she now knows where to seek for comfort.

I had an interesting experience the other day. Scott and I were walking around the corner to the dry cleaners. I heard children speaking English! I was so excited! Waiting at the light was a mother and her two children from India. We started to talk to them. Scott got her number and asked if they'd come over for dinner sometime, she said she thought they would. My thoughts were racing! I thought, Oh no! She's probably Muslim. We're not suppose to talk about the Gospel to them because in some cases they can't go back to their countries and sometimes they are even killed if they become Christians. I thought, "Oh Heavenly Father, I don't know her situation. I don't want to offend her.". The thought shot into my head, "You would rather offend the Lord?" I know that thought didn't come from me. It's caused me to ponder. Sometimes it's hard for me to open my mouth and share the Gospel, it feels awkward, but I would rather open my mouth than keep it shut and offend the Lord.

Being here is an amazing experience. One that is foreign to my non-adventurous spirit. It has made me happy that I have ventured into the unknown. Experienced things I never in a million years thought I would. It has been one of the most fulfilling times. Growing times. Forever changed because of this, times.

Sister Oldroyd (office secretary) was a little teary eyed the other day because when she got on skype with her daughter, her little 3 year old grandson looked at her and said, "Hey!!! I remember you! Where is your house?" It was kind of funny and sad at the same time. It made me cry too. I hope my grandchildren remember me. I do know this one thing, I will be a better grandparent because of what this experience is letting me become. I hope you will all remember me. I hope you will remember my testimony that runs even deeper now. This mission life is not a life that removes us from reality, it's a life that thrusts us in the middle of it. It opens our understanding of people and eternity. I am grateful for it.

I love you all,
Sister Baird, Bonnie, mom or grandma!

P.S. I got one of the most memorable gifts the other day. A box from Grandpa and Grandma Baird (Fred and Sarah). We opened it thinking it was Book of Mormon's. At first, we couldn't figure it out. It looked like tennis balls under the bubble wrap. When I removed the wrap, I saw Grandpa's famous Green Apples! Picked at the perfect time! I put my face in my hands and sobbed. Thank you for that beautiful, loving gift. I had a little piece of home. Included also was a book he'd written about his life and the Baird family....another treasure. Thank you Grandma for the DVD, 'One Good Man' we know it is one of your favorites and now has become one of ours.

Cultural tip of the week: My birth date is 3/31/56 (yes I'm old!) In Japan it is 3/31/31 or as they list it, 31/3/31. The birth years are different here. They go by Emperors. It's year 22 now. Confusing right?

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger