Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:36:06 -0600

Ohiogozaimas!

I hope you are all having a splendid 4th. We are on our way to church (next door) with the Japanese Meito ward members. They are amazing. So kind and sweet.
I am a little nervous because I am going to bear my testimony for the first time in Japanese. I know they won't be able to understand much of what I say and the fact that I go so slow, they might be asleep before I finish!

We had a fun day yesterday. We walked up the street about 2 short blocks to a beautiful park with a pond. All these Japanese men were sitting on the steps fishing. Then we went around with our AP's, Elder Heaton and Elder Eyring to the post office and store. It was so good to go with them because we actually could find things like mayonnaise and dressings, and sour cream, things like that. We went with the Japanese office elders a couple of days ago and I came home about ready to cry because I couldn't find anything, they really didn't understand the things I was looking for. Elder Heaton and Elder Eyring also showed us some other things we might like, such as these most delicious cookies with a chocolate layer on top with a ship imprint. So much for losing weight here in Japan. I really thought there might be hope, but my diet consists of bread, milk and cereal, and a little meat, I did find good vegetables the other day, the fruit is really expensive, watermelon $23.00, cantaloupe $14.00 etc..... I don't know how they can put fish in literally everything but they do. We went to a pizza, pasta place the other night and there was fish on the pizza and on the pasta, I thought the girls were going to cry. Oh....the bread here is soooooo good. There is a quaint little bakery just about a block away, and we have a punch card!

Japan is beautiful and it feels so safe and clean here. I am a little puzzled as to what to do with my garbage though. They are experienced recyclers here and they even have special trash bags you put each category in. I don't want the garbage police to come knocking! Seriously! I'll ask the Elders.

The first night here was one of the most overwhelming, frightening times of my life. I laid in bed with a heavy, anxious, dark feeling. Here we were, in Japan, leading all these missionaries. I've never been a missionary before. I am following Sister Traveller who is vivacious, fun, darling (curly thick hair that doesn't go straight in this humidity!) she looks like she's thirty something and she can drive them all to the eki (train station). I hope someday I dare get in the car in the drivers seat (skinny, skinny streets, wrong side of the road need I say more?) anyway, I was scared to death at the duties ahead. I slid out of my bed, down on my knees and started praying with all my soul. I climbed back up into bed and laid there. After awhile I started thinking of something I could do for some of the district Young Women (thank goodness for that training!) all the sudden a tinge of excitement shot through me. I thought why am I feeling excited about something when I've been so sad and overwrought? I could actually feel the fear and anxiety dissipate from my whole body. A total peace came over me. I thanked the Lord for the opportunity to pray to Him and receive such comfort. After I finished my thought, the words came into my mind, "Yours is not the only prayer being answered." Thank you all for your prayers in our behalf. It has been felt. It has comforted our souls. He listens and hears.

This is a beautiful mission home. It feels like home. We love it here. We look forward to hearing from you all. Keep us updated on the happening in your lives.

The Gospel's true.

Ja matta ne!

Love,
Bonnie

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger