Ohiogozaimas,

We have enjoyed the greatest two months here in Japan! The last two weeks have been even better. Thank you Lindsay, Cydne, Brayden and Kirsten (Heiner) for coming to Japan. I know it was at great sacrifice, it's not an inexpensive trip. We had so much fun shopping (except for Brayden and Katheryn Crazy), going to church, meeting the missionaries, seeing the beautiful country, the Ninja Forest and most amazing- the Monkey Park. Monkeys actually walked right along with us. Babies with mommas. Toddler monkeys playing together. Monkeys bathing in the hot springs (this is an absolute must do if you get to Nagano!).

I was hoping when I came to Japan I would lose weight. I finally did.......about 240 pounds. The thing is, it wasn't body weight. It was the weight of two daughters. As I look around the house, there are so many reminders. Empty bedrooms. A bathroom that is clean and empty. No one is at the table on their computer. The piano is silent. As I go around the streets, they are streets we have explored together....to the eki (station), bakery, Komeido's, etc. I can see us walking them, laughing, hot, sticky, tired, energetic. I can't decide if I hate this painful feeling or love it. When you feel it, it's because you can remember 'exactly' what it felt like to have them here, and if it goes away - you may forget. I don't want to forget.

This is a new stage of life for us....empty nesters. That sounds so lonely....so empty. A sweet sister from the P.V. 5th ward once told me, "You know how everyone says that when you have kids home that's the best time of life? well the empty nest stage isn't so bad." I'm sure I will get there, I just don't know if I want to. I'm afraid of the 'forgetting' part. My most favorite part of the Star Trek series was the Holladeck (sp?) where people went to re-live memories. I hope there is one of those in Heaven.

I miss them. Who will tell me if I have a part in the back of my hair or not? Ask a man and he'll tell you it's fine---he thinks that's the look you're going for. Who will fix my phone and get my messages? Help me with the computer and every other electronic devise I own. Who will go with me to the Daiei? or venture out with me and reassure me I'm not lost on the road forever?

I wish I would have been a lot more patient over the last 32 years of children. Taken more time to just sit back and observe them all. Despite having me for their mother they turned out to be pretty amazing adults. Elder Hales told us to go home and thank our children for raising good parents. This is true--- they have made us better people.

I realize this is painful but necessary weight loss.

Don't worry about me, as I'm sitting here writing this letter, my children have called me about 15 times. The Elders called to see if they could take me shopping or somewhere, they know this is hard, the problem is I'll be crying about them leaving in another two weeks. Everyone here is so kind to us. They are constantly watching over us. Thank you Heavenly Father for them all.

I'm grateful that I am here when my nest became empty. I have a kind, compassionate Father that has provided me with 84 other amazing young people that need to know what to do for a cold, or back ache etc.....that constantly hug me (the sisters) and shake my hand. Who bear the most beautiful testimonies. Who leave their families ----also. Who are so amazing that when you look into their eyes, you can see their souls. I love them too.

Good-bye from the empty nesters in Japan.
Love you all,
Sister Baird, Bonnie or mom

Comments (0)

Powered By Blogger